On 15 June 2023, Aspasia Protogerou, certified Intercultural Citizenship Education trainer and John (Yannis) Sourelis, Fotoessa’s cofounder and training facilitator, held a 3 hours team-building workshop in Athens for young volunteers from SCI Hellas. As the young participants were originated from Ireland and France there was an acknowledged need for a better mutual understanding and communication. The workshop aimed to inspire a more active participation, intercultural dialogue and strengthen the team’s bonding. The event included targeted interactive activities:
- An icebreaker activity to create a positive and energetic atmosphere, to encourage participants to step out of their comfort zones and engage in a shared experience.
- A team activity focused on effective non verbal communication and active observation to emphasize the significance of clear communication, trust, and attention to detail within a team.
- An activity in pairs aiming to promote teamwork; improve coordination among participants and effective planning to achieve a common goal.
- A one to one activity aiming to showcase the interconnectedness and interdependence of team members. This activity fostered collaboration, problem-solving, and highlighted the importance of supporting and relying on one another.
- An icebreaker activity promoting active observation, trust and effective leadership within a team.
- A hands-on activity aiming to raise awareness about unconscious biases and stereotypes and their impact on teamwork and decision-making. Participants engaged in a discussion sharing personal experiences, promoting a deeper understanding of the topic. This activity helped create a more inclusive and open-minded environment, fostering empathy, and encouraging participants to challenge their own biases.
Overall, the team-building workshop was a resounding success, despite the language obstacles. Participants actively participated in all activities, showing great enthusiasm and dedication. The workshop not only facilitated stronger bonds among team members but also improved communication, collaboration, and problem-solving skills. The interactive and engaging nature of the activities allowed participants to let themselves free to express their feelings and also promoted team cohesion and bonding.
In their anonymous evaluation, participants expressed their satisfaction with the workshop and highlighted its positive impact on their understanding of teamwork and their relationships within the organization. We believe that the workshop’s success will have a long-lasting effect on this team, enhancing team spirit, free expression, creativity and collaboration, fostering an inclusive culture and improving overall team performance.
We would like to express our gratitude to all the participants for their active involvement and contributions. We also extend our appreciation to SCI Hellas for inviting us to implement the workshop.